Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Final Reflection

I can't believe it's over!

     It's been a short semester filled with a lot of work, but I would  be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.  I made quite a few mistakes, but the only thing I can do is learn from those mistakes and continue moving forward.  The most formative experience I've endured this semester is "my unfair advantage."  It's hard to really say what you have to offer until you sit down and really think about it.  It's easy to list your skills, but it becomes much harder to identify the combination of skills that you have, that others may not have.  Knowing this information provides the entrepreneur with an edge, or a different angle to go at an idea with.  Two people can share the same idea, but how they implement this idea through the skills and resources they have determines who will be more successful. It isn't enough to just have an idea.  I definitely believe this concept will follow me as I create knew ideas and new venture concepts.  I won't forget sitting on my couch for hours trying to come up with my unique skills/resources.  At the time, it felt impossible, but I really appreciate the experience.

     The most joyous experience was the reading reflections. I really enjoy reading and learning on my own terms.  Luckily the reading options were interesting, inspiring, and educational.  I definitely enjoyed the actual reading aspect rather than the reflection. However, I am grateful for the reflection aspect because it helped me identify key elements, which ultimately helped the material stick in my mind.

     I'm most proud of myself for accomplishing the elevator pitches.  The process of writing a solid script, memorizing said script, setting up an area to film, and then reviewing/editing the video for upload is extensive.  I liked the process, I just didn't like how long it took me.  But I am glad that I did the elevator pitches rather than skipping the assignment altogether.  I truly struggle with the career side of education and the elevator pitch is an important skill to have.  I've been taught in multiple classes how important one's elevator pitch is.  Whether your are selling an idea, a product/service, or yourself, it's important to know what points to hit and what points should be avoided.  Also, filming myself enables me to critique myself.  I can watch and re-watch that video repeatedly and pick out the things that could be improved for the future. I am grateful for completing the elevator pitch assignments.

I definitely believe that I have developed an entrepreneurial mindset.  I find myself naturally identifying opportunities in every moment of my life.  Sometimes it consumes my mind so much that I have to snap back into reality and focus on the issue at hand.  I also feel like I could develop other venture concepts that I am more passionate about that I discovered outside of this class.

     Tips for future entrepreneurs:

  1. Don't let fear hold you back from experiencing each an every assignment to the fullest.  You couldn't possibly enjoy this class is you're constantly holding yourself back from the experiences this class offers.
  2. Stay on top of the assignments and plan accordingly.  There are a lot of assignments in this course and most of them are time consuming.  Plan ahead and don't wait till the last minute to start working on the assignments.
  3. Do the assignments for yourself and not just for the grade.  Separating the experiences from the class itself will help you develop the mindset for your everyday life rather than just on an educational level.


                                           
     

No comments:

Post a Comment