Saturday, May 14, 2016

Bug List

1. Doors that are made mostly of glass
     -People constantly put there fingers on the glass making it dirty.
2. Map apps that provide only a couple of alternative routes
     -The provided routes tend to keep people on main roads which are often backed up with traffic.
3. The process of taking a shower.
     -Showers are time consuming and it feels like there are so many things that you need to do while in the shower before you can be done.
4. Wobbly shopping carts at different department or grocery stores.
     - When the carts are off balance, they tend to be loud and difficult to push.
5.  When electronic devices freeze and need to be restarted.
     - The time it takes to restart an electronic device is way too long.
6.  The lack of seating in Starbucks.
     - Starbucks was created for people to be able to work inside (that's why they offer free wifi), but there is never enough room for each customer to have a seat and get work done.
7.  The unusually small tables found in Starbucks.
     - There is absolutely no space for multiple items at the small round tables found in most Starbucks.
8.  Garbage day is only once a week.
     - It only takes one small piece of trash to make everything smell terrible and there's nothing to do about it until garbage day comes around and the trash can be thrown away.
9.  When large bags are given to customers who bought a small item.
     - What about the environment and why is it necessary to put a small item in a huge bag.
10.  Trying to get the rest of the toothpaste out of the tube.
     - It's like a battle trying to get the rest of the toothpaste out of the tube.
11. Hand sanitizer leaves a sticky residue
     - It makes my hands feel more dirty than they previously were.
12. When there are only electric hand dryers in public bathrooms.
     -They take longer to dry my hands.
13. I can't comfortably get work done while sitting comfortably on a couch.
     - There isn't a portable desk that I can use to work on while sitting on the couch.
14. Thin plastic bags used for groceries.
     -  Thin bags often tear easily making it more difficult to carry your groceries to your destination.
15. Cleaning water bottles that have a straw built into it (Camelbak bottles)
     - The straw often doesn't get cleaned because you can't take the bottle apart to clean each individual piece that the liquid flows through.
16. Cracking an egg when cooking.
     - It's nearly impossible to get all of the wet regions of the egg into a bowl or pan without it getting on the surface you cracked the egg on.
17. When the ice machines that are built into refrigerators offer a crushed ice option.
     - Whether you want crushed ice or whole cubes, the refrigerator often shoots out crushed ice which often sprays all over the place missing both the cup and the ice tray.
18. School desks that have a small surface to work on.
     - All of the things I'm working on need to be stacked on top one another because there isn't enough room to lay the pages side by side.
19. The inability to try on clothes while online shopping.
     - Some clothes can only be found online whether because they are out of stock in store or because you are ordering from a different country and you want to be sure it will fit prior to buying the item.
20. When emails won't load until after the app is open.
     - The notifications are turned on to alert you when you have a message, if the only way you can check to see if you got an email is to open the app, then its pointless.

This assignment was very hard for me. Most of the things that bug me have to do with people rather than items so the problems cannot be easily fixed.  I also realized that I am (for the most part) rather calm and optimistic when it comes to using things.  If something doesn't work properly, I usually just forget about it and move onto something else.  Also, trying to come up with the "whys" for this assignment was challenging.  There are some things that bug me and I don't necessarily know why, it just does.  Overall, the assignment really made me think outside of my everyday life.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michaela,

    It really looks like you thought this through--I agreed with almost every bug you identified, yet I couldn't think of them myself when I was working through the assignment. The two that stuck out to me were wobbly shopping carts (it makes them really hard to turn, especially when your cart is loaded with groceries) and small desks (you end up feeling constricted when everything is stacked on itself). Also, I agree with you when you say that the assignment was difficult. In terms of disposition, I'm also calm and optimistic, so I find it hard to critically view things or identify things that truly annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michaela,
    You have an interesting list, and reasons why these things bug you, even though the idea for the assignment is to find five or more reasons why these issues exist. Looking at some items on your list I had some ideas, for example the glass doors, if I am not mistaken, what really bugs you is not the glass door itself, but the fingerprints and dirt that is quite visible. So I can dig on that and thing that perhaps this issue is because glass is a material that is very susceptible to dirt, because the coating attracts oils and dust, because of the lack of technology to create a smudge resistant coating, or maybe it’s too expensive to use on doors, etc. You were on the right track with number 13, just probably need to dig a little deeper there. Good luck with the course and finding a shower substitute. Maybe you’ll invent something from the sci-fi genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michaela,

    I thought your post was very insightful. Many "bugs" that were mentioned at first, I would read and not be able to guess the "why", but each time I kept hearing myself say "that makes sense". With that said I actually disagree with your reflection because I think most of the "bugs" being people problems is actually good, because most likely you can find a solution to the issue with what the people are doing that bothers you. Also if you are thinking it, most likely someone else is having the same "people problems" that you can therefore solve, through a creating a product, service, or just an idea. Once again great job and I think you are headed in a great direction.

    ReplyDelete