The portmanteau that I came up with is shlip a combination of shoe and slip. Shlip is a verb and it means to slip on your shoes regardless of the type (could be sandals or sneakers or dress shoes, it doesn't matter) in a quick manner.
I've been using this word for a few weeks now. Every time I used 'shlip', the people around me would laugh a little and crack a few jokes at/about me, but nothing mean spirited. For the record, I work most of the week and I've been living with my mom, so my human contact is limited. The people around me who heard me repeatedly use the word would mock me and use it jokingly, but I'm not sure if they use it in their regular lives.
All in all, this experiment was fun and I enjoyed hearing people's reaction to my new word. I'm sure there are at least a couple people who have used it, but I doubt they would give me the satisfaction of influencing their vocabulary in such an amazing way.
No comments:
Post a Comment