Saturday, July 2, 2016

Elevator Pitch No. 2


My Elevator Pitch:

I didn't do the first elevator pitch, therefore, I didn't receive any feedback.  Fortunately, I watched a lot of elevator pitches and I there are a few things that I tried to do differently than others.  First, I tried not to talk to fast.  Many people seemed like they were trying to get the pitch over with and rushed through.  I tried to slow down my speech and cut down the amount of information I was giving.  Second, I tried not to stand still through the entire pitch.  Obviously I didn't want to leave the frame, but I didn't want to appear stiff and boring.  I'm not typically one to 'talk with my hands,' but I did try for the sake of the pitch.  Finally, I tried to paint a picture that people could relate to.  A scenario that even those who would be outside my target audience could understand and imagine.  Some feedback that I either saw from others or may have suggested in the moment that I believe is outright silly, is to just relax and try not to be too tense.  Even though it looks better when the person relaxes, it's not that easy to do.  Elevator pitches can be nerve racking or stressful and tensing up is a natural reaction to these situations.  Although I believe that relaxing should be practiced, I do not believe it is something that a person can change in a short amount of time.

4 comments:

  1. Your comments about tension and nerves make sense. It takes work and practice to get through them. Also, if it is something you are not used to, it is not easy to remember exactly what we need to say. I like the way you used your hands. I think it is a smart idea to go slowly. Regarding the content itself, maybe an example of someone you have interviewed who could use the product, who has had a particular need that others can relate to, which might make it more personal for the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you watched other people's pitches and used their feedback to make your pitch. It is always a good idea to see what others are being success or unsuccessful at and adjust accordingly. I also agree with you on being tense a well. Sometimes a person may not be tense or nervous, that is just how they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad, not bad at all! If I had to critique your pitch, I would say the fluidity between sentences could have perhaps been a little better. There were a lot of two second pauses between sentences, which sometimes felt natural but other time it didn't. Other than, that you seemed very confident. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job with doing some research on how elevator pitches are supposed to be done. Other than the info I got in one of my classes a couple semesters ago, I didn't really look too much into what to do and what not to do. It's good to see that you took the initiative to do that, especially since you didn't do the first one.

    ReplyDelete