Sunday, July 10, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

I am currently still a junior majoring in telecommunications.  My plans for the future don't really exist yet, I am at a point in my life where I just live day to day and let my life unfold as I go.  I am very laid back which enables me to keep a clear head even when things get complicated.  I also am very determined when it comes to achieving the goals I create for myself.  I've had experience in the past with developing products for other college students.  I have heard what they had to say regarding improvements and other criticisms which ultimately has helped me think like a customer.  For my business idea, I would be targeting a similar crowd to myself which allows me to make creative and necessary decisions to make this business a success.  Once my business is up and running, I don't plan to be super involved.  I would look over my business to make sure things are running as I intended, but ultimately I'd like my employees to take care of the business without me.

I would like to create a coffee shop that is open all night for those who need a place to get work done at a time when most other places are closed.  The coffee shop would serve coffee all night, as well as nutritious snacks that will help keep the customers energized and focused as they work through the night.  I would also create a "charging" station that would have energy pods for people to take a break and re-energize before getting back to work.  This coffee shop would be located in larger cities that aren't developed around a large university.  A place where it's nearly impossible to find a place to work late in the night. Currently, for me that location is St. Augustine.  This place will not serve alcohol because I would like for there to be a calm and relaxing atmosphere with as few distractions as possible.

My customers are most likely a younger crowd ranging from about 17-35.  Most of these people are either college students or young entrepreneurs who can't sacrifice hours sleeping because they need to work hard to get ahead.  Other customers may not work well in the day, or may work during the day and only have the night available to focus on their studies.   My customers will most likely be online students, students visiting home/family, people who work from home, or entrepreneurs.

Customers would come to my coffee shop simply because it provides something that most cities lack, coffee and a comfortable place to work at all hours of the night.  Most coffee shops close by 10 or 11pm and unless someone makes coffee at home, there aren't many places that people can find that will serve coffee in the middle of the night.  Also, working at home isn't really an option for a lot of people because there are distractions and some people find it hard to use their leisure space as a work space.  Therefore, people need a place that provides the atmosphere they need to get ahead or to catch up on their work.  A place where they can work for hours at a time with little to no interruptions.  A place that will fuel their bodies in a healthy way to keep them up all night.

I am someone who could desperately use this service right now.  Therefore, I am the right person to properly execute this idea.  I can create an atmosphere that suits different peoples needs all at the same time.  I'm aware that different people need different things in order to get focused and stay focused.  I also can use feedback to my advantage and attempt to work out problems that potential customers may find that I don't initially think of.  I am determined to create the ideal work environment for my customers.  What sets me apart from others is the combination of my determination and my ability to look at something from multiple perceptions.

After reading over my five elements, I can confidently say that my five elements fit together very well.  I don't really see any weak parts of it.  I think the combination of myself and the vision I have for this coffee shop align well and could be very strong.

I read the feedback for "Idea Napkin No. 1" and used everything that people said to improve my idea.  Five main points I took away from the feedback I received:  
     1.  The coffee shop should be located in a city that has a high concentration of people who work from home.
     2.  Few distractions are crucial for my customers, this coffee shop should almost act as an escape from the chaos that distracts people.
     3. The combination of the shop being nocturnal and offering coffee are two of the main selling points for people.
     4. Places that aren't considered college towns would be the best locations for a coffee shop like this due to the lack of buildings designed for college students who work all through the night.  A lot of people spend summers with their family and take online classes.
     5. The coffee shop should offer healthy snacks/food.

I used all of this feedback in my second idea napkin.  I used the feedback to make each element more specific and also more appealing to the intended customers.

1 comment:

  1. Michaela, it seems like even though you do not know what you want to do yet, you still have a clear path ahead. I like your idea about a coffee shop late at night and i think that it would be a great idea. Even though some people might not think that it would fit their schedule I think the shop would do great for you!

    ReplyDelete