The Three Major Elements:
Opportunity
College
students have an under-met need for a place to study during the middle of the
night. This generation has an obsessive
need and want to get ahead in life by working every chance they get at any hour
they can. Unfortunately, no one has
recognized this need and therefore, these consumers don’t have a proper place
to get work done in the middle of the night.
Currently, students have the option to work at home, which can be
interrupted by roommates, family, neighbors, or simply the convenient location
of both their bed and their TV/tablet.
Another option is to work at their school library (assuming their campus
has a 24 hour library). Unfortunately,
the library doesn’t solve the issues most college students face, simply because
there location isn’t ideal, more and more students take courses online, and
most libraries require you to have a student ID when going to the library
during the night. I believe college
students are the main demographic experiencing this unmet need. However, the number of people who are
attempting to create there own start-up companies is also growing which would
provide a second demographic experiencing this unmet need. Geographically, this need is located all over
the country, but I believe the need is more concentrated in larger cities (both
in population and land). I think this
opportunity is huge and shouldn’t go unmet. The window of opportunity will exist, but not
for long. If enough people start to
recognize the opportunity, the window will close.
Innovation
I would
like to create a coffee shop that is open all night long. The coffee shop would create a place for
people to work at night and properly fuel their bodies while running on few
hours of sleep. It works by creating an
atmosphere where people can buckle down and work diligently for several
uninterrupted hours. Customers would
have access to free Wi-Fi, and enough outlets to charge their many
devices. The coffee shop will offer not
only coffee and other caffeinated beverages, but also healthy snacks and a
small variety of meals. Revenue drivers
for my innovation would be the different beverages and foods, as well as a time
based fee for customers to use a sleep pod.
The sleep pods would have a flat rate for each increment of time listed. The purpose of the sleep pod is to refresh
the customers when they’re feeling tired.
The rate for the sleep pods may be high at first in order to pay them
off, but over time if people enjoy the service, then the prices may be lowered
in order to encourage more users and then raised again when demand is high. Another revenue driver would be the different
office supplies that I would offer near the cash register. Items like chargers, pens/pencils, paper,
portable chargers, etc. The only
requirement of my service is that every customer must buy at least one item in
order to use the free Wi-Fi or the coffee shop in general.
Venture Concept
I think
students who are dedicated to their work and driven to work hard in order to
get ahead in life would be willing to switch to using my service and buying my
products. I don’t think it’ll be hard to
get people to switch to my service.
Especially if I can market my service to the right audience, I think it
could become a popular place for college students to work. It’s just a matter of making the coffee shop
semi-trendy so people will want to come.
The competitors for my service would be college libraries and other
coffee shops. Luckily, most coffee shops
close by 10 or 11 pm, therefore, they’d only be competition when our hours of
operation overlap, or if a time comes when they too are open all night
long. College libraries have very
specific hours and are closed for holiday breaks that coincide with the
school. Also, college libraries involve
going to and parking on a college campus (as we all know, this can be a real
pain). College libraries only welcome
students with an ID to enter at night.
In creating my coffee shop, I would focus on the atmosphere first and
foremost. I want my customers to feel comfortable and relaxed in the coffee
shop in order to optimize their work time.
Because I would be open during the middle of the night, I would plan on
only have a two workers on at the same time (at least in the beginning until
business picks up). I would have one
person working in the front at the cash register and coffee bar and the other
employee would be working in the kitchen and/or helping in the front depending
on what is needed by the customers.
The Three Minor Elements:
1.
The most important resource for my venture would
be customer service. I want the focus of
my business to be solely on the customers.
I want to build a strong relationship with customers to create
loyalty. I want every customer to feel
unique and visible. I don’t want the
customers to find any reason not to come back or feel unwelcomed at my
business.
2.
I think the next move for my business would be
to create our own line of technology accessories. The first product would be an adjustable
tablet holder that attaches to tables, chairs, beds, and more.
3.
In five years, I want my business to be popular
and appreciated. I would like to begin
franchising my business and open coffee shops all over the country. In the next decade, I’d like to be running my
business from afar. I want to know what
is happening with my coffee shops, but ultimately I don’t want to be super
involved with the business. In the next decade, I’d like to be pursuing my next
venture as an entrepreneur. My first
venture would provide me the necessary learning and experience I would need in
order to continue my path as an entrepreneur.
This is something that I am surprised is not more common in college town. There are a large number of coffee shops but most of them close at about 1 or 2 AM. I think college students would be receptive to this especially the ones that prefer to study at night or are pulling an all nighter.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great idea, especially because college towns are so high revenue for each store in one! Though I don’t study at UF on campus, I live by a college town sometimes up North, and almost all of the stores’ revenue is due to college kids, so they accommodate the hours many of them are awake or roaming.
ReplyDeleteI think one of the biggest reasons this idea has not been exploited yet is because your average person is not going to want to get loaded up on caffeine at 1am. You have a very specific demographic here (students), and most coffee shops I imagine couldn't afford to stay open all night. That being said, I think with the innovations you listed you might be able to really get this off the ground. Good job.
ReplyDelete